Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Talent Caliber


This is my fifth feature film. I've had movies with Adam Baldwin, Mimi Rogers, Sean Patrick Flannery, Joey Lauren Adams, Lou Diamond Phillips, Tom Wright, Yancy Butler and others. Without a doubt, on the whole, this is the most talent rich cast. Sure Lou and Mimi and all were incredible-- but instead of just the top being incredible, the word "great" can easily extend way down the roster on this cast.

As a director, I look forward to an actor and a scene or two. "I can't wait to see how they play this," I say to myself. Well, on this movie, I'm thinking that question quite a bit.

It also puts pressure on our local casting. I am an impatient type. But it's great to take the time to find "great" and not just "good enough." So with this caliber of talent, the production team finds a bar that's being raised. And I think that's a "great" thing.

1 comment:

  1. I have been on the sets watching the actors in all but one of Dan's films. The first time on a set, I thought the actors would have the attitude of "this is just a little indie film. I'll take my easy money and run" but that wasn't the case. This is their job and most of them apparently know that this "little indie film" will live forever on cable channels, in people's movie collections, in the video stores, and even in the $5 Walmart bins and that they should do their best. I was very impressed with their attitudes, cooperation, and input even from those who have been in so many films that you need more than ten fingers to count. I'm anxious to see how the next group of actors does.

    ReplyDelete