Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Don't Read the Bible

Instead, study it. It's not a great giant merit badge that you can wear around, saying that you've read the Bible. It's something to be dived into, to be devoured, to be studied.

I remember in 1981, I read the Bible through in a year. Had that torn and tattered chart as a book mark that told me what to read. Basically about four chapters a day. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. It's just that it's even more beneficial to study the book of Romans for three months. Sure, you don't get the satisfaction of pure page-achievement. But the benefits are eternal.

I'm all for supporting literature, commentaries, and what-not. But nothing replaces studying the actual text itself. Don't only take other people's word for it.

Study the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment