Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Long Life brand Batteries Are Not

I put them into my flashlight and they lasted for only a few clicks. I think the makers thought "we've got some really cheap batteries here that won't last long. We'll price 'em low, but to make sure people buy them, we'll call them 'Long Life.'"

In the Band of Christian Brothers, we learned that if you're trying to convince yourself or others of something, chances are, you're not that. I've spent a good deal of my life trying to convince everyone that I'm really smart. Boy did I feel stupid when I realized my efforts to appear smart were due to my own insecurities and feelings of inferiority. Deep down I was afraid people would discover who I really am. Talk about one mask of an Imposter.

Psalms 139 says I am fearfully and wonderfully made. If I decide that what I am is just too horrible, it's really an arrogant position-- the price God paid-- the death of His only Son, just wasn't enough for me. I'm *really* bad, God. I need an Uber Jesus, or "Super" Jesus, or a team of Jesus's. That's just wrong.

But the thing I have feared, unmasking, is actually freeing. And the amount of work it takes to build and maintain masks is huge. The truth shall set you free.

No comments:

Post a Comment