Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Write

I forget the person who said it, but we've used the quote often... something like "Writing is easy. All you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until blood drips from your forehead."

Actually, I like writing. I like the writing process. It's the other things of life that get in the way of writing. So writing becomes a huge disciplinary study into managing all the little, and big things that life throws at us on a daily basis.

For instance, I've started the new script. I already have my extensive outline (refer back to that blog if you missed it), so when I exported into a clean, new screenwriter program, I already had 20 pages. This is great fire for internal motivation.

First day, I wrote 8 pages in two hours. A strong start. I like to spend an afternoon (or morning) and sit at a restaurant and just write. I know why this works for me-- usually there's no internet I can tap into and the only real distraction is my phone and the endless trips up to the beverage counter for Diet Coke refills.

But since, it's been fifteen minutes here and 30 minutes there. Not the ideal way to write. But that's okay. I had a very close friend end up in the hospital for an appendectomy. And my wife had to travel to help take care of a newborn the friend was going to do. So life is upside down. And that's good. It's what is.

So today? We'll see. I'll start writing right now and ponder what Paul wrote in Romans 8: All things work together for good for those that love Him and are called according to His purpose.

1 comment:

  1. I love writing too... I hate it, but I love it, if you know what I mean. I equate it to giving birth... (http://sonlightpicturesblog.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/birthing-a-script/)

    I avoid it for as long as I can because I know just how much work and discipline is required, but once I actually start, I can't stop thinking about it, working on it, until the first draft is done.

    I guess it's not wanting to be a disciplined as I need to be or should be... kinda like being a Christian :) Hard work, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete