Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Why Stories?

Why did Jesus use a bunch of stories to get his points across? Wouldn't pulpit lectures be more effective? Besides, stories leave a lot to interpretation. What if the listener interprets it wrong?

I believe stories are more powerful than simply espousing rules and laws. You can establish a rule or directive that says "God wants you." But to hear the story of the Prodigal Son gives so much more than the text. There's all the sub text. It's rich in all the meaning that you can apply.

I think this is why the constitution is a vague or general document. So that the spirit can be used to interpret law. I know my sinful nature is to put on lawyer clothes and obviate the rules to gain my own personal advantage. Scripture is no different.

So that's why stories. It gets to the motives, the intent. Not just the letter. The sub text, not just the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment