Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Comparable

The Original Sin-- most people say it's pride-- that Lucifer had pride, and that was first. But I'm going to put forth that the Original Sin is Comparison. Lucifer said he wanted to be *like* God.

So what's wrong with comparison? It can show you were you are. It can reveal your areas you need to work on. I'm not talking about looking at the Apostle Paul's life and realizing you've got some sin to work on. What I'm talking about is the stinking thinking that goes something like this: Man, Spielberg made his first movie when he was 21! Why haven't I?

And I could go on and on with thoughts like that. Jesus talks about the Pharisee that compares himself with the down and out man and thanks God he's not like him.

The problem with comparison is that it's a Lose situation, no matter what. There will always be a better filmmaker, a better singer, a better guitar player, a more beautiful person, a stronger person, a smarter person. You cannot win.

Comparison of this sort basically says "I'm inadequate," which goes directly against what God says. Only Dan Millican can make the films that Dan Millican can. Doesn't matter if there are better, more talented, more lucky. The only perspective is obedience to what He's called me to do.

Only you can do what God's called you to do. Psalms 139 says that I'm fearfully and wonderfully made. So are you. I'm special. Just like every one else.

2 comments:

  1. I've been "lurking" at your blog for awhile now, but not really commenting. I just wanted you to know that your post today really blessed my socks off. It was just the encouragement I needed in an industry where very little encouragement is offered.

    ReplyDelete