Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Identity Theft

A common question I'm asked when doing interviews about the movie "The Imposter" is what is the message in a sentence? Well, here it is:

As I move closer to Jesus in my walk with Him, the closer I move to discovering my true identity (PS 139) and remove the masks and masquerades that my Flesh wears to cover my own insecurities and feelings of inferiority.

That's a bit deep for a Monday morning. Psalms 139 is one of the best chapters in the Bible for understanding who I really am, who God created me to be. I praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. My Ego wants to say "Wait a minute, I'm not that wonderfully made. I'm inferior. I'm messed up." And in light of that verse and that chapter, isn't that response a pretty arrogant one to God?

My mentor, a pyschologist/pastor, says that when you peel the layers of the onion back on most of the dysfunction in people, you get to the root: Insecurity and feelings of inferiority. And God is not the author of that.

If you've had your true identity stolen by the prince of lies, I encourage you to seek the truth and read Psalms 139. And remember, humility is confidence, and confidence is understanding who you really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment