Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Owner's Manual

I seem to hear this phrase used more and more. Int eh Band of Christian Brothers, we've been using it for some time, but now I'm hearing it in other places.

Do you own it?


To own it is to take responsibility. Something I rarely see in my dealings with Hollywood. Or corporate America. Or anywhere else. You see, it goes against survival instinct: to own it is to admit failure and be held responsible. Can't do that.

It's funny-- in LA, they rarely tell you a flat no at first. Because that would mean to commit. To own it.

Add to this my post on compartments, and I can say I own it, only to find other areas of my life where I'm passing the buck and throwing people under the bus. BTW, a clear sign of not owning it is to toss someone under the bus. Around my house, you'll hear us say occasionally "thump, thump." The sound of the wheels going over the body.

Owning it is taking unconditional responsibility. As in "I own my house-- if the grass doesn't get mowed, the trash not go out, the dishes not washed, the laundry not done, it's not my wife's fault, it's my failure." Only then can I truly get to the root.

You see, there was a time, after getting griped out about some of those things, I ask my wife for a list. Thought I was owning it. New principle learned-- the person who makes the list is the owner.

So guys, put away the skirts, man-up and own it. The Bible says you're the head of your household. That means you are NOT your wife's oldest child. So stop acting like it. It's not Christ-like, not funny, and not functional.

Own it.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Daniel. I love this idea. And it can be applied in everything. You don't like the way your church is? Don't blame the person who clapped or the leadership that didn't crack down or any number of blames. What are you doing right now to make you and the people around you live to the potential God wants for you?

    ReplyDelete